Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 1

Noticeable Side-Effects: None
Meals: Cereal and Toast - Fajita - Waffles and Yogurt
Snacks: None
Weight: 101.4 kg

Reflection on Today:
All-in-all, treatment was easier than I expected. Everyone was friendly, I didn't get lost in the hospital (for a change), I was on-time (for a change), etc.

All the literature I've read and even the technician this morning said I wouldn't feel anything; but to my surprise, I felt every wave they sent through my head! It felt like a gentle pressure being applied to my scalp at each point where the waves were hitting me. There was no pain.

I was also able to see flashes of light with each wave, but only if my eyes were closed. The flashes were so bright that, until I opened my eyes, I thought there was a strobe light attached to the equipment!

I was tired immediately after treatment, but I don't think the radiation was the cause. I'm sure it was all mental and related to the anticipation I had been feeling versus the anticlimactic treatment itself. I got a second wind when I got home and felt normal for most of the day.

Now, however, I am completely exhausted from over-exerting myself all afternoon (about which I will post tomorrow) and from the mere fact that it's 1:00 in the morning.

That said, I am going to sleep...

***
I didn't mention in my introduction, so I'll put a note in here:

The treatment type is "Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy" - using X-Rays shot from a linear accelerator (Google knows the details better than I). My head is bombarded from several directions each treatment. Treatments are conducted once a day (weekdays) for about 6 weeks. Each treatment takes about 20 - 30 minutes.
***

1 comment:

  1. of COURSE you could feel and see it...even if no one else in the world could. it's just who you are. try to enjoy the process, if that's possible. what a trip it is for people to be screwing around in your head. Love you honey.

    ReplyDelete