Saturday, September 11, 2010

Radiation-Pattern Baldness?

I don't have treatments on weekends, so I'm feeling excellent today.  So excellent in fact that I went fishing for two hours this afternoon.  The yellow perch were biting today.

Now the topic at hand:
I knew I was going to go bald due to radiation therapy, but I wasn't expecting it to happen this way...
* Click images to see them full-size.

My hair loss is coming on slowly and is more "thinning" than "loss" at this point. Frankly, I'd rather it all just fell out because what I've got now just looks like a receding hairline.  During treatment, the machine moves around and sends waves from (7? I think?) different positions.  The area that is balding right now is where I receive the most Greys of radiation each day.

I didn't take any "before" pictures because I actually shaved my head and beard off before treatment started. As you can see, I haven't picked up a razor since... The bald patch on my right cheek is not due to radiation; for some reason, I've never grown anything there.

The closest I have to "before" pictures are these shots taken on my first day of treatment. (These were scanned from print-outs I got at the hospital, so the quality is a bit low.)

In case it's not obvious, the mask keeps my head in position during treatment so I'm not hitting healthy brain more than necessary. The tape with crosses are applied everyday and are used in tandem with lasers mounted on the walls and ceiling to help align my head. Patients who don't use the mask (treating other body parts) often get tattoos for this purpose, but that wasn't necessary in my case.

Speaking of tattoos, I've decided to get one in commemoration of this milestone in my life. (Shut-up mom! The ink is not going to leach into my system and poison me!) As some of you may know, I can be artistic on occasion, so I decided to design the tattoo myself. Here is the rough-draft:

Japanese dragons have healing powers and also protect one against unhappiness and adversity. The two crystals he is holding contain my sons' names. In his left hand my oldest "Itaru," and in his right hand my youngest "Itsuki." This dragon will adorn my left chest such that my boys will be close to my heart. I have already picked an artist with whose work I am very impressed, so I plan on getting this once the car is sold.

My only concern is that a lot of bath houses in Japan have a "No Tattoo" policy (because it's the only way to enforce a "No Yakuza" policy). I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not in the Yakuza, however, so I'm sure exceptions can be made...

So there you have head shots as promised.  Since I'm feeling a lot better lately, I will do my best to continue posting every day (even if I have nothing to say).

Ta ta!
The Chungerpung

1 comment:

  1. I love the tattoo...go for it!! I hate that you're going thru this and, if a tattoo makes you feel better, why not? Love you...ma

    ReplyDelete