Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 14

Noticeable Side-Effects: Physical Fatigue (not bad enough to say "Exhaustion"), Mental Restlessness, Slight Nausea (probably my own fault)
Weight: 102.9 kg

Reflection on Treatment:

My wife let me sleep-in again (not that she "makes" me wake-up, she just made sure the boys weren't overly loud while preparing for school this morning), so I held-up the show such that I was "just in time" for my appointment.

The Radiation Oncology staff at UM is so quick and efficient that I generally only spend 3 - 5 minutes in the waiting room (the longest wait ever was only 15). That's great except that it leaves me with little time to read. Having left-off at a very exciting part of "Deathly Hallows," I really wanted to read a least to a part where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were not in immediate peril. That's why I think I caused my own "slight nausea" today, because I was reading in the car.

Treatment went on as usual - 2 X-Rays, 7 shots of radiation - and I had good tunes* in the CD player to take my mind off of the horrible smell and flashing lights.
*On an interesting note: Treatment time is exactly the length of the "B" side of the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album ("Sun King" through "Her Majesty").

After treatment, I wanted to talk about my ER trip over the weekend. As I've mentioned previously, I see Dr. Lawrence every Tuesday. He was not in clinic today, but I was able to meet with his resident, Dr. Weinstein, to fill him in on my experience.  The result of that conversation was disconcerting to say the least. Because the ER doctors had found nothing wrong with me, I assumed it was just severe side-effects. Dr. Weinstein explained, however, that if my symptoms had been caused by radiation, there would have been some sort of evidence on the CT film.

That said, he advised me to go about life as usual, but not to drive myself to treatment any more. (Trips to the park to relax or go fishing are fine, but the drive to the hospital is just too long for comfort.) Naturally, I was instructed to keep the Radiation Oncology team informed of any recurrences or changes and that an anti-inflammatory can be prescribed if needed.

As of this moment, I feel as excellent as one could expect. My appetite is good, and I'm really in the mood for fruit. "Nashi," otherwise known as "pear-apples," "Asian pears," etc. are my favorite by far, but I could go for anything juicy. Fresh pineapple would be nice...

So, feeling better, I plan on getting back to my various projects today:
I completed one waraji "shoe" on Saturday, but the weave was too loose on my huge foot. The largest (standard) shoe size in Japan is 28, but I wear a 32 (US size: 13-EEE). With that in mind, I think I need to weave the weft across 6 warps instead of the traditional 4. My re-designed loom:

With any luck, this will work out better.

Hoping to still feel like blogging tomorrow,
The Chungerpung

No comments:

Post a Comment